1. How different is it from an industry standard dimmer available in the market?
PSJ is a power controller or energy controller. The standard dimmer cannot control Gas Discharge Lamps; Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapor, and Fluorescent Types.
2. The documents provided seem to suggest that you would dim the intensity of the light by X% which in turn will reduce the power consumption. Is there any other method through which the controller saves energy?
It is the fact that to reduce the power consumption, the light will be reduced. However, the % dropping of lighting intensity is relying on as following factors;
1) The ability of power controller – Mostly the lighting controller is aimed to control the light but not for the power. The light is dimmed, but the power is not reduced for example, electronic ballast dimmer. However, for PSJ lighting controller fully controls both light and power linearly. The gapping is +/- 2%. For example, if we can manage the light from 100% to 50%, the power will reduce to 50% and, the light will reduce to 52%.
2) What is the technology behind? - There are other methods as well in the market such as reduce voltage technology. There are the limitation of energy saving. In Thailand, reduce voltage technology can save only 10-15% of saving. However, with our technology, PSJ can fully manage the energy from 100% to 1% in Fluorescent Lamps and 100% to 50% in HID Lamps.
3) Characteristic of lamps – Some types of lamps have high efficiency such as PHILIPS PLC Fluorescent Lamps. After we control, the light will be decreased by 30%, but the power or energy consumption is decreased by 50%
Reduced Voltage Technology
Limited to some HID (mostly cannot apply with Metal Halide)
Max. HID 400W
Shorten – since there is no concern of minimum holding voltage.
(N.C.W.I. – Non Critical Wave Intersection)
Max. 1% of Power in FL Lamps Max. 60% of Power in High Pressure Sodium
Max. 50% of Power in Metal Halide and Mercury Vapor Lamps
Longer – (reason see no.3)